Monday, October 17, 2011

Chinese Takeout Pizza OR How we Make Up For No Delivery Service in the Boonies

I love visiting my bestie in Orlando for many reasons. One of which is the beauty of food delivery.

Don't want to go out in the rain for dinner after getting drenched 11 million times previously that day? No worries, just call the restaurant you were going to visit and they will bring your hot Pho soup to your doorstep. Ahh, now that is what I call service, and no, I don't mind paying a touch extra for delivery/tip if I can eat in my PJ's in front of a dumb cable movie, thank you very much!

At home however, I live 35 miles from the nearest restaurant that even offers delivery. And for some odd reason they aren't willing to make the 40ish minute trek out to my neck of the woods. (I literally live in the woods, fyi. That isn't just a cute expression.)

However, thanks to some inspiration from a Rachel Ray recipe for Mu Shu Pork Pizza, I can now satisfy cravings for both pizza and Chinese delivery with one make at home meal.

So, if you have a need for take-out delivery, or just a wacky fun dinner, give my take on this RR meal a try!

The Goods:
  • 1 lb pizza dough (I did the Publix Bakery pre-made dough)
  • 4oz thick cut pork chop (or loin)
  • ~4oz white mushrooms, sliced
  • 1/2 a medium sweet onion, diced
  • 1/2 head of escarole (or cabbage/ hearty green of your choice), rough chopped
  • sesame oil
  • hoisin sauce
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • olive oil for grilling
 

Saute the onions and mushrooms in a drizzle of sesame oil.


After the onions and 'shrooms cooked down season them with S&P then toss in the chopped escarole.


Meanwhile, season the pork with sesame oil (mine was a butterflied chop) and grill it over medium heat, then smoother in ~1/3 cup hoisin sauce. Cut the seasoned pork into cubes and toss with the veggies. (now off the heat)



Fight Roll the pizza dough into something resembling 2 disks. Rub with a small amount of olive oil and grill until deliciously brown and puffed.


As soon as the dough comes off the grill, brush generously with more hoisin sauce.


Top the crust with the pork and veggie mixture and enjoy!


This tastes just like mu-shu pork, but with the satisfying chew of pizza, instead of those flimsy Chinese pancakes.


Chinese/Pizza Delivery cravings crushed!

Love to all,
~the "a girl's gotta do, what a girl's gotta do when living in BFE" gal, Jess

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!