Monday, October 24, 2011

Spooky's Black Cat Cafe

Can you feel it? Can you?

Halloween is a mere week away, friends!

So, it's about damn time I told you about Spooky's Black Cat Cafe, in the Milk District of Orlando.

(in case you are going, "milk district, wha?" like I was when I first heard the term, it's just little nickname Orlandoeans have given the neighborhood around the T.G. Lee plant. When I questioned if that was a kosher way to name a neighborhood, I was told the point is mute. You can't argue with a stubborn Orlando native. Trust me on this.)

Back to Spooky's. It's fun, it's funky and it's damn tasty.



Oh and did I mention they have a great draft list? 'Cause they do.


I don't 100% remember what this was, something by Cigar City? (I actually visited Spooky's back in the summer, I was just saving this post for Halloween!) Regardless, it was tasty and I believe I had a second round!

We split the Tour of India appetizer sampler.


From the menu: A trio of Baigan Bharta style eggplant curried dip, Pav Baji style vegetable curry dip and Patra style aloo leave, curries and a tamarind roll with a side of curried yogurt, toasted Naan bread, and today’s crisps.

It was mighty tasty, and great fun to play with, as most Indian inspired dishes are. I liked the veggie curry dip the best, but ended up going to town mostly on the tamarind roll, because the rest of my party didn't care for it. It was strongly spiced, but I enjoyed it with the yogurt.


For my entree I got the cheese board of the day. This has become one of my favorite "go to" meals, and the spread put out by Spooky's did not disappoint: brie, wensleydale with cranberries, an herbed goat log and some variety of aged, hard cheese that had a nice bite; all served with strawberries, blueberries, crackers and crouton-thingies (yes, that is a very advanced culinary description. Also, I did not care for said "crouton-thingies). Overall, I demolished this plate, because it was that good!

Ok, well I actually shared some with my friend Jesse, because he ordered my second choice, The Fungi Fun Pizza, and then we taste swapped.


One blurry half, as described on the menu: Ricotta and garlic base, fresh mozzarella, shitake, crimini, and portabella mushrooms. I'm glad of two things here: One that my best boobies friend lets me taste test with her hubby and two, that I stuck with the cheese plate. This pizza was, well, seriously and overwhelmingly fungi-lous. And coming from the gal that ate wild mushrooms at the tender age of 4 because she loves them so much (and the rest of that story is for another day, thank you) is really saying something. Holy moly mushrooms!

If you are visiting Orlando for a spooky good time this weekend, in celebration of All Hallow's Eve, trick or treat your way though the Milk District and have a pint and a bite at Spooky's....if you dare!

Muahahahahah.

Love to all,
~the creepy little cafe lovin' gal, Jess

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!