Monday, February 6, 2012

The Impulsive Half Marathoner-the plan

Hi, my name is Jess and I'm a gal with an impulse problem.

My mouth gets me into trouble, cause I call 'em like I see 'em.

My credit card gets me into trouble because if I want something I buy it.

Similarly my taste buds also get me into trouble, because if I want to eat something, damn it I will. (sorry tight jeans)

And on November 11th, 2011 my impulses got me into trouble again.

See (what had happened was) I was killing just a few minutes at home on the Internet before heading out to a neighborhood BBQ to celebrate the super lucky Veteran's Day when Meghann posted to fbook about the $60 deal for the St. Pete Half Marathon. (do you see where this is going?)

Did you say half marathon? (cause I'd kinda sort been thinking about doing one-usually when I'm drunk with running friends) Did you say St. Pete? (cause I used to live there and have crazy withdrawals) Did you say one day sale? (um, sale?)

 Um, yeah. So I signed up. And I was really excited. I mean, I was still high on my first triathlon finish, so why wouldn't I be pumped for what would be my first half marathon, in one of my beloved Florida cities?

I mean, it's only 13.1 miles. And the fact that I still couldn't run a mile straight wouldn't matter right?

Then after half-ass training for a 5k in November and having my revelation about running/racing during that said 5k the first weekend of December, I kinda sorta took the rest of December off. I mean, I knew that this half was in February, but that seemed so far away (it wasn't) and I had "write half marathon training plan" on my to do list (for 5 weeks) so everything was going to my not-planned-out-impulsive-race-registration perfectly!

Well, now we are t-minus 6 days to the half. And I've done exactly 11 of my 13 planned training runs. Only one of those runs was double digits. And it was 12 miles. And I did it yesterday. (In three hours. Um, can you say walker in the back?)

While I might not be runner ready, I'm ThatJessGal ready, and that my friends is as ready as I can be.


Here is my plan for the day:

1- Enjoy myself (even the run on the Pier-full sun, ugh)


2- Keep my eye on the prize (because it's all about the metal-I sure hope RnR ordered enough this time) 


3- Enjoy the post race beer (or two-cause the brew is just as important as the bling)


Now how I plan to accomplish those three goals is a touch loosey-goosey. Mostly I will NOT drink half a pitcher of margaritas the night before, like I did pre-12 miler (can you say tequila sweats? phew).  Also, I plan to order an omelet and toast at 5am from room service, so I can mimic my normal eats, because peanut butter on bread in my belly for 12 miles makes me want to ralph. (besides, if I'm paying to stay in a Hilton for two nights, you'd better believe I'm getting room service too!)

 Oh, and about the running bit? I still can't run a mile straight, and I'm cool with that. I know I'll be in the back of the pack, and once again I'm hoping the golf cart driver/sweeper is a cute guy cause he'll be watching my booty the whole race!

Well, there is my plan. It's pretty lame impulsive but regardless how under-trained I am I am just as determined that by the end of Sunday I will be a half marathoner.

Love to all,
~the impulsive little gal, Jess

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!