Thursday, February 2, 2012

A Lucky Booster Shot

On New Year's Day, just like any other good southern gal, I had my lucky dose of blacked peas and greens.


Since then however, I've been really busy sharing my goals for the 2012, busting out Project: Snail Mail and generally survivin' and thrivin' in what turned into my busiest, most hectic January ever! (thanks early Beta Convention, additional position at work, training for a half marathon and learning web design, it's been blast.)

So, on February 1st I did the only rational thing. I made Black Eyed Pea Soup as a booster to my New Year good luck vaccination.


Yes, it's a bit nontraditional. And yes, I borrowed the idea from Boulder Locavore. But that's just how this nontraditional, idea borrowing gal likes to roll. Besides, who else eats black eyed peas again on 02/01? That's what I thought. Luck soup's (nearly) up!

These veggies were sauteed in butter, salt, pepper and curry powder. For luck. 


Luckily I had all these short cut items on hand. 


After the vegetable/spice mixture simmered in the coconut milk, tomatoes and Hoppin' John-my quick source of the black eyed peas-instant brown rice was add to the mix. (for texture and heft, not luck. I'm running out of lucky quips.)

 

Finally, to make this an authentically lucky soup, one bunch of red Swiss chard was rough chopped and tossed in to wilt.


The money lucky shot.


With garlic toast. I didn't have cornbread. I hope that doesn't break my lucky streak.


Love to all,
~the double your luck gal, Jess

Lucky Black Eyed Pea Soup
adapted from the Boulder Locavore

Ingredients:
1 tbsp butter
1/2 medium sweet onion, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped 
1 tbsp curry powder
salt and black pepper, to taste
2 13oz cans Hoppin' John (or black eyed peas) 
1 28oz fire roasted tomatoes
2 13oz cans lite coconut milk
2 cups water
1/4 cup sugar (less if you prefer, I like it sweet)
2 cups instant brown rice, cooked (1 cup water, 1 cup instant rice)
1 bunch red Swiss chard (or green of your choice), rough chopped

For Luck:
1-saute the chopped onion and pepper in butter in a large soup pot.  Season with curry powder, salt and pepper
2-while the vegetables saute, prepare the rice according to the package, omitting salt and fat
3-add canned tomatoes, hoppin' john (including juices) and coconut milk
4-use 2 cups of water to rinse out the cans, if desired. Add to pot.
5-stir in sugar to taste and rice.
6-bring to a rolling simmer for 10-15 minutes
7-add the Swiss chard, allow the greens to wilt and remove soup from heat.
8-enjoy

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!