Saturday, March 5, 2011

Seaonally Confused....

....and it's not just me, both Mother Nature and my damned taste buds are confused. As in bipolar opposites confused.

See, it's March, and hello Mother, it is still winter, but we have had highs in the upper 70's and even 80's for the last 2 weeks. Not that I'm complaining. Oh no.

But in typical Semi-Abnormal fashion, while everyone one else is jonesing for microgreens, fresh berries and grilled fish tacos I have a craving for squash and hash? (The sweet potato kind, thank you very much. What were you thinking?).

Maybe it's not my tastebuds that have the problem, but the fact that I still have my Christmas decorations up and a basket of mini pumpkins and gourds spending some quality time alongside an out of control onion on my kitchen counter. Oppsie. 


Whatever the reasoning, this sweet potato, beef and egg hash was just what I needed to satisfy a wacky harvest craving.

If you are having out of season cravings too, give this a whirl!

Start with (for two dinner sized portions):


1 large-ish sweet potato, chopped
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
Leftover Beef Roast with green peppers, shredded (I "borrowed" this from my parent's kitchen....they made a Spanish roast earlier in the week)
2 eggs
A camera shy spice mix consisting of: sea salt, black pepper, dried garlic and parsley mix, and smoked paprika (<-- my serious obsession since the epic birthday shrimp and grits)

Saute the onion and sweet potato in butter (or your "fat" of choice) until the onion is translucent and the potato is starting to soften, then add the spices.


Now comes the only "tricky" part of making hash. Spread out the seasoned veggies evenly on the bottom of the skillet and leave.them.alone. I'm a hands on gal, so this is tough for me.

If you keep your hands to yourself, a lovely brown crust will start to form. Then, and only then, "flip" everything over (I just stir it up, honestly) and let the other side brown for a few more minutes.

Add the leftover shredded beef and pepper. Once the meat comes up to temperature, spread the hash mixture evenly on the bottom of the skillet again. Crack two eggs over the top and cover.


The goal is to "set" the white of the eggs, but don't overcook the yolks....you will see why in a moment!


Lovely!

I served my hash over a bed of spinach and heirloom tomatoes.


Love the runny egg, ahh. So worth hovering over the stove impatiently!

But, let's be honest for a moment:


Yeah, you know the condiment queen can't go without ketchup and hot sauce.

Out of season craving? Done and done. Now if Mother Nature would make up her damn mind!

Love to all,
~the, "I don't care what the weather is like, if I have a craving I'm going with it" gal, Jess

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!