Thursday, August 11, 2011

Stealing from Whole Foods: Tabbouleh

You've heard me lament about my grocery woes before. You know, the whole "I live in the boonies blah blah, Publix is an hour away, blah blah, Whole Foods is over 2 hours away, blah blah, and don't even get me started on Trader Joes!"

Needless to say, one of my favorite things to do when I'm traveling is to hit up the Whole Foods hot and salad bars. I adore loading my recyclable fiberboard box with a bed of mixed kale, then layering in grain salads, tofu Waldorf salad, Indian spiced chickpeas, snow peas, cold hard boiled eggs, ahhh.

And my "salad" typically ends up weighing nearly 2lbs! aka 20 bucks, ouch. I guess it's a good thing I live so far away from my beloved WF.

I had a revelation the other day, that I could make many of my favorite WF hot bar dishes at home, so I'm starting yet another mini series on this little bloggie poo: Stealing From Whole Foods which will be apart of my Expanding my Repertoire challenge to myself to cook something new every week (or so).

I decided to start out simple. Tabbouleh. A Mediterranean classic and a perfect take along to a summer picnic or party. If you too are trying to expand your cooking repertoire, cut back on your Whole Foods bills or just like beautiful fresh herbs tossed with lovely, chewy grains, follow along.


Start with gorgeous bulgar wheat and cook your desired amount* according to the package. After the grains were cooked and drained, I spread them out to cool on a cookie sheet, this is quite optional.
*I just eyeballed 1.25 cups uncooked to make a large batch of tabbouleh to take to a party.



Chop, dice, juice and zest lovely parsley, green onions, tomato, garlic and lemon.


Toss the veggies and bulgar together with the pièce de résistance: feta. 



Stuff into a mini pita, with some accompanying blueberry/brie bites. Yummmmm. 

Based on this first attempt at stealing from the Whole Foods bar, I think this is going to be a very successful heist venture. 

Love to all,
~the Mediterranean loving little thief herself, Jess

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!