Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A Simple Summer Salad (and a confession of sorts)

I have something to get off my chest. Here goes.

I'm a tease!
I love orzo!

No really, I am a tease. (and I do love orzo...but you already knew that. And if you don't love orzo, well you will very soon)

But wait, before you lock up your male best friends, husband's cousins and sweet older brothers (really, don't lock them up...send them my way, I'll keep them well fed) let me explain. See I have this bad habit, of mentioning something, even making a promise of sorts, and then taking a really, really, long time to stop accidentally teasing ya'll and come through with that promise.

Phew. I feel much better. Thanks.

And in case you are totally confused (I mean, I'm a little confused most of the time...confused people unite!) I'm referring to a delicious orzo salad that I made for my friends over Memorial Day Weekend.  And I promised that I would share the recipe with you "stat."

That was in May, and it's August. Stat, my ass. (Good thing I didn't go into medicine, eh?)

But, as a wise man once said, "better late than never."

And now, no more teasing, let's do the damn thing (I mean, let's make a refreshing summer salad. What did you think, gutterbrain? humm?)

 For this simple orzo summer salad you will need:

  • 1 box orzo pasta (prep via box instructions and drain)
  • ~4oz feta cheese, crumbled
  • 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
  • 1 green pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 purple onion, chopped
  • 1/2 8oz can black olives, drained (the Lindsay brand is the best! do it!)
  • the juice and zest of one lemon*

1. Mix the last 5 ingredients together.
2. Admire the beautiful colors.
(no really, that second step isn't optional)


3. Add drained orzo and feta to the bowl
4. Dress with olive oil (2-3 tablespoons), pepper and salt


5. Toss. (no really, it is that simple)


optional: top with yummy chicken and veggie skewers (actually, this isn't optional. no lovely, don't ask questions, just do it)


Well, and I guess now you know my third confession, I'm kinda bossy. (But it's in your best interest to listen to me. It is.)

Love to all,
~the orzo lovin', bossy tease of a gal, Jess

*the zest is my trick the make the lemon flavor "go further". And it's pretty.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!