Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Sweaty Soup

So, it's about a billion degrees outside these days.

Naturally, when I got home from a day of hauling only a half a billion text books around my classroom and fighting with rolls of bulletin board paper (I teach high school science) I was craving soup.

Right. Naturally. Well, the don't call me the "Semi Abnormal Gal" for no reason!

In all honestly, my plan was to rip open a box of crack V8 Butternut Squash Soup, microwave it and fall into a soup comfort comma on my couch.

I was happy with this plan, until I opened my cupboard to spot a vacancy on the soup shelf. Actually, the whole "building" had cleared out. Some plan.

So, I moped about, swept my floor, put away some dishes, all the while trying to talk myself into just eating the leftover pasta in my fridge. But, dammit, I wanted soup.

Next thing I knew I was tossing a pat of butter in my soup pot.

Then I added:
  • 1 medium sweet onion-chopped
  • 4 carrots-cut into 1 inch chunks
  • 3 celery ribs- chunked
  • 4 Yukon gold potatoes- quartered
I sauteed the veggies in the melted butter, with some sea salt and white pepper for approximately 5 minutes. Then I added one 32oz carton of College Inn Thai Coconut* "Culinary Broth" and brought the contents of the pot to a rolling boil, for 2 minutes, then reduced the heat down to a simmer for an additional 10 minutes.

After a whirl with the blender I had this lovely bowl of soup. 


Sort of. My soup dinner wasn't cooked in Scotland, by the fabulous Yani, as seen above. Nor was my soup served with a fresh buttered baguette. And alas, my soup was not nearly as smooth, because my immersion blender is better at chewing and shredding than blending. 

Ok, so you caught me, I didn't take any pictures as I was cooking and stuffing my face tonight.  But hey, it's a billion degrees and I was eating soup; it would have been just too much to be wielding a heavy D-SLR at the same time. Right? Right.

Love to all,
~the sweaty soup eating gal, Jess

*you could use regular chicken or vegetable broth which is what I typically do. This was a random purchase that I had on hand, and I like the exra "something-something" this fancypants broth brought to the table. Literally.

1 comments:

Ashley said... Best Blogger Tips

Yani's soup was frickin delish!

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!