Sunday, September 4, 2011

Harvest Time Beer: A meal in a glass

Like many others, I proudly declare fall to be my favorite season.

Oh yes, I love the season of football (only high school and college though, thanks!), the opportunity to wear sweaters, boots and tights, and hello, Halloween?

But the absolutely best part of the fall? Harvest themed beers. Oh yes, they are on tap already and I have three wonderful doozies to share with you! And now, in no particular order:

Number one: Seirra Nevada Life and Limb


This is a "small beer" (means it is the second brew from a batch of hops/barley) with huge flavor! The flavor profile includes burn toast, coffee, and maple syrup. A perfect brew to curl up with and dream of breakfast in the morning. Or hell, just drink this for breakfast! Be warned however, at 10.2% abv this "breakfast in a glass" might leave you loitering around the house for a while!

Number Two: Great Divide Smoke Baltic Porter


"beef jerky in a glass" proclaimed Vinnie, one of my favorite bartenders. This beer does live up to it's proclamation of being "smoked" but I didn't really get the jerky bit. I think Vin was just jerking my chain! This porter does have a slightly salty after taste, but I loved it. As Christine said, it's a beer you have to chew, and at only 6.2% abv you could chew a few over a nice evening with friends.

Number Three: Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale


From the website: [This] pumpkin ale is the mother of all pumpkin ales. It is heartier, spicier, and more “caramelly” and “pumpkiny” than its faint brethren! We have added lots of pumpkin along with Cinnamon, Nutmeg and a touch of cardamom and clove giving this beer a spicy, full-bodied flavor. This truly is an Imperial Pumpkin Ale.

Weyerbacher holds my heart when it comes to pumpkin ales (although, I do enjoy a good Dogfish Head Pumpkin too, don't get me wrong) but I always proclaim this beer to be "Big Red in a glass." I don't taste the pumpkin, so much as the spice, but I love every drop of this 8.0% abv ale, every time.  

So there you have it ladies and gents. My top three for the fall. Start enjoying them now, because they will be gone in a flash!

Love to all,
~the "yes, I rank my favorite seasons based on beer" gal, Jess

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!