Thursday, March 25, 2010

Proud to be a G.R.I.T.S. kinda gal.....

So, I don't know if the South will ever "rise again" but one thing I do know is that here in the deep south...well, we know how to deep fry some shrimp, or "skrimp" rather....if you want to get technical about it, and darn skippy (!) I'm a science teacher, so you know I'm going to get technical.

And also only in the south would this girl find her very favorite fried shrimp meal at a BBQ restaurant. Perhaps I'm biased, because I worked in this very restaurant for all my formative high school years and may have even experienced my first french kiss in the walk in cooler at said restaurant, but if I was told I would die tomorrow, I would have to, HAVE TO get one last order of Akins Fried Shrimp. It's all about the pepper batter, and I even know the "secret" recipe....but alas I do not own a deep fryer, no do I ever intend on owning one, so I just have to treat myself now and again to these beautiful, spicy, taste of the south, beauties.

Tonight was one of those nights....it's been a hellatious week in my world-a great one, but oh so ridiculously BUSY! Nothing like a little skrimp therapy to suck it up for one more day with the demanding but darling students.

So, with out further ado, here is yet another of my southern comfort dinners:


So, it's a a little monotone....but deliciously so. Seriously jumbo shrimp, mac n cheese, fried okra and garlic toast (that I shared with the puppies of course- they LOVE the shrimp tails too, which I only give in moderation since I'm not sure are actually good for dogs- probably not). All sided up with ranch dressing of course and a giant sweet tea (unpictured, obvs). Oh Southern Heaven on a plate.

Love to all,
~A southerner with style, Jess

1 comments:

Small Town Girl said... Best Blogger Tips

A woman after my own heart! Can you say death row last meal request?! Okra has always been my favorite since I was little- Santa still puts a jar of pickled okra in my stocking every Christmas. Though I can't walk out of Akins without a pork on garlic- just like my dear old daddy in that way :) I've taken many-a-Gilchrist county foreigner to Akins and they walk away in awe of the fabulous southern fare. Didn't realize you worked there too! Oh man I am ready to buy a plane ticket right now and get my Akins on...

Have a great weekend hon!

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!