Monday, November 22, 2010

Lazy Woman's Eggplant Parma

This ain't your Italian Grandmother's Eggplant Paramsean....mostly because I don't have the time to make your grammie's labor of love...but I'll bet you love my quick and dirty version just as much.

Check it:


The goods:

1 garden fresh eggplant from the neighbor's yard (or your local friendly market)
1/2 a large white onion-thickly sliced
2/3 carton white mushrooms-quartered
1 medium tomato-rough chopped
fresh basil
8oz can of tomato sauce

plus some camera shy:
red pepper flakes
2-3 cloves of garlic
mozzarella cheese-shredded
Paramsean cheese-grated

Prep your eggplant by chopping it into bite sized pieces (I leave the skin on, but that is a personal preference-I like the extra "chew") and sprinkling generously with sea salt to draw out any bitterness.


Let the salted eggplant chill for 10-20 minutes and then blot gently with a paper towel or clean kitchen cloth.

Meanwhile grate your parma....I'd say that is about 1.5 cups? Ya'll know my measuring issues by now. It's all part of the charm, friends....just go with your gut.


And seriously people....get real cheese please, not that stuff in the plastic shaker....you know what I'm taking about and you know who you are. Ahem.... yes, you.

Once you are prepped and ready to go, saute the onions, garlic, mushrooms and eggplant until all are tender.


Now, let's get saucy by adding the chopped tomato, red pepper to your taste and most of the parma (I reserve about a 1/2 handful to top everything with....you'll see in a minute) and some julianed basil. Once the cheese is incorporated add the tomato sauce and a splash of red wine.

Throw the whole mess in a baking dish and top with a few generous handfuls of mozzarella, the last few shreds of paramsean, plus more basil.


Move the veggie/cheese party into a 350 degree F oven for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. (I cranked on the broiler for the last 2 minutes just to brown it up a little bit)


Oh, hello sexy.....


Plated up with a heap of Cesar salad, some ziti ala vodka and a piece of rather charred garlic toast.


Amen. You know my very own Italian grandmother may be rolling in her own grave right now (What? No breading? No frying?) but if she could taste this I bet even Grams would be pleased.

Love to all,
~the "so what if I'm an Italian in a hurry?" gal, Jess

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!