Saturday, November 27, 2010

Project Tasteless: The French (Invented Lovemaking) Onion Soup

It's Thanksgiving Weekend and you know what that means...becoming slightly cooped up at the house, as we avoid the crazies at the mall and the psychos on the highway. So, what is a girl to do but lour the cutie-pie neighbor away from the football games and leftover turkey with trimmings over into your bed to your table for a light (sort of), healthy (kind of), vegetarian (nearly) seduction meal. I mean, that's what Rachel would do.


So, if you are ready to embrace Round Five of Project Tasteless: The I Am, in Fact, Trying to Seduce You Challenge just follow my lead and you will have that boy next door eating out of your hand....or which ever body part you prefer.  The French may have been credited with inventing lovemaking...however, this southern gal not only took a page out of their book, she modified it too!

Without further ado, I give you the tools for seduction, in the form of French Onion Soup.

Gather the arsenal:


2 large onions, sliced
0.5 lb mushrooms, sliced
0.25 cup butter (aka, 1/2 stick)
0.5 cup red wine (I used a French Bordeaux, but you should always cook with whatever wine you like to drink)
2, 10.5 oz cans condensed beef broth (or you could use fresh beef broth, of course)
2.5 cups water
1 teaspoon-ish sugar
1 tablespoon flour
black pepper to taste (you likely won't need salt, thanks to the beef broth)
French Bread, cut into thick slices and toasted
Smoked Gruyere Cheese, sliced

As you probably noticed, this isn't your average Frenchie's soup...I add mushrooms, and use smoked Gruyere instead of the classic Swiss/Parmesan mix.  But you don't want just an average night in, do you? That's what I thought....so enough balking at the ingredients...let's get cooking.



Saute the onions and mushrooms in the butter and sugar until the mushrooms are soft and the onions translucent. Add the flour to thicken up the juices that the onions released.


Once the flour is completely incorporated, add the wine, stock and water, plus pepper and bring to a simmer for about 10 minutes.


Lower the heat and let all the flavors meld while you toast the bread.


Fill soup bowls (make sure they are oven proof, my darlings) nearly to the brim, top with toast and cheese and ladies...be generous with the cheese, because you want this boy to be generous with you later, if you know what I mean. (Also, I thought I took a picture before I popped the soup in the oven, but I guess I got distracted....hot boys soup will do that do you, sorry, I'm not sorry) Bake at 425 degrees F, for 10 minutes...or until the soup is hot, bubbly and the cheese is melted.


Oh.My.God. It is that good. (oh ps. these bad boys will be super hot, so handle with care....but then again what bad boy isn't super hot and should be handled with care?)

Now, I personally can make an entire meal out of this soup, but I know that those carrying a Y chromosome need a little more "fuel" before the big game night...and trust me ladies, after feeding him this meal, it will be a big night!

So, side up that sexy soup with some roasted zucchini and leftover cranberry sauce.


And a salad inspired by the latest issue of Cooking Light (I followed this pretty much to the T except I used a pink grapefruit instead of oranges).


You want him to be filled up and ready to go, but not too stuffed. This isn't Thanksgiving all over again ladies and you know as much as I love a good food baby, it has no place in bed.


Set the table and let the seduction begin. Have fun, and be safe. Oh and don't blame me if all the boys start requesting French Onion Soup for dinner. See you tomorrow for some bangover recovery time.

Love to all,
~the "I might not be French, but I have a few tricks up my lovemaking sleeve anyway" gal, Jess

PS. This recipe makes 4-6 servings...so, you will have plenty for a midnight snack before round two...or three, or....well, you get the point. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!