Sunday, January 3, 2010

January, like whoa!

So, I'm still in shock that it's January 2010 (the 3rd to be exact! Woozers!) and today is the last day of my winter break- sniff, sniff!

No really, it's been a good break, much better than I was anticipating actually, since I was having a rough time getting into the holidays this year, but once I just stopped trying to be a control freak (me? be a control freak? no way, right? haha) and just went with it I had a great holiday and really enjoyed reconnecting with my childhood family friends. I wish we all lived a bit closer, but seeings how I have vowed to travel more often this year, I should be able to see them more than once a year! Yipes.

So, in my brain, heart and soul I'm still celebrating Christmas and the Ringing in of the New Year, so in that vein of thought, here is a variation on the classic greens for good luck.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, it is tradition on either NYE or NYD to eat black eyed peas and greens here in the south for good luck in the upcoming year. My family and I actually had a fabulous meal of BEPs (black eyed peas), rice and collard greens with biscuits on the 1st, but seeings how I am currently cameraless, I am sharing this Kale recipe instead.

First off I browned 1lb of bulk hot pork sausage. I don't have a picture of this step as I got a little delete happy on my camera's memory card the other day, but I'm sure you all can visualize what a large skillet of browned and drained sausage looks like!

At the same time, peel and cube a one medium to large butternut squash (discarding the seeds and membrane of course) and steam the cubes. I use the throw in a microwave safe pan, add about 1 inch of water, cover with plastic wrap and steam in the microwave for ~10 minutes method.
The cubes should be fork tender and look somewhat like above when you are finished.

Back to the skillet. Once your sausage is browned and drained (unless you enjoy greasy food, I don't!) add about 3/4 lbs of kale leaves.
Then dump in your steamed butternut squash cubes and toss the whole mess together with some pepper, nutmeg and a tiny sprinkle of salt.Continued to heat, covered, over low heat for a few more minutes until the kale lightly wilts.

Serve up with your holiday favorites, or eat as a meal in itself. This makes great leftovers and is also great with a drizzle of ketchup and hot sauce if you like to roll that way. I do sometimes!
I hope you all give this recipe a whirl. It's fun and easy and very satisfying on cold winter's night!

Love to all,
~a kaletastic, Jess

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!