Friday, November 20, 2009

Pumpkin Pasta!

The weather has finally become consistently fall like down here in Sunny FLA! (famous last words....watch it be 90 for Thanksgiving next week! ack!)

So, to celebrate I made my version of a recipe I first ran across in a Rachel Ray Magazine back in college (I've been getting RR since it first debuted, and while I don't tear out as many recipes as I used to, I still get excited when it rolls in each month).

And guys, screw 30 minutes, I put this lovely meal together in about 15....including waiting for water to boil and scrubbing the sink.

For the sauce I sauteed 1 clove of diced garlic with 1/2 of a small roughly chopped onion in some butter. Yes, people I am from the south, I cook in unsalted butter most of the time unless otherwise noted. Unsalted butter is actually healthful when used in moderation, of course.
To the garlic and onion I added 1 can of pure pumkin puree, ~3/4 a can of 1% milk, and 1/2 a can of chicken broth. Now the spices are what makes this dish: Generous palmfuls of each: Black Pepper, Nutmeg, Cinnamon and Cinnamon Sugar, plus 2 dashes of salt. Of course I tasted along the way and added this and that, but those will get you on the right track. Plus a shake of hot pepper vingar, and sage if you have any....I didn't tonight. Sniff- fresh out of fresh herbs! :(

My sauce simmered along on low as I waited for my rotini pasta to finish up.


Once the pasta was done and drained, I plated up a lovely bowl and topped it with parma (a must for this dish....the savory with the sweet, heavenly!) and more fresh ground black pepper.

Now that is what I call fall comfort food, even if both my parents turned their noses up at it. They don't know what they are missing, and a lot of my friends enjoy this hearty dish too. Also, if you are a meat fan try cooking up some Italian or Apple Chicken sausages to mix in too. Very tasty!

Love to all,
~A pumpkin pusher, Jess

1 comments:

The Hollywood Memoirs said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm going to have to try this. I had pumpkin pasta for the first time last week and I absolutely loved it.

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!